Wednesday, January 22, 2014

TRANSVERSE ABDOMINIS - A CONTINUATION OF THE CORE MUSCLES

Transverse Abdominis - A Continuation of the Core Muscles

I know it’s been a while since my last blog but, I did a bit of traveling for the holidays and like most travelers I brought a souvenir home from my trip; a very miserable sinus infection! I enjoyed my trip very much but, the loft I stayed in proved that stairs were meant for the un-injured! I went up and down this set of stairs several times a day (it was during the horrible storm/blizzard that swept the country) which got me thinking about the next core muscle in the series. “Which core muscle will I write about next?” Then, as nature usually does, it reminds you what you are made of- I felt it --while I was trekking up and down those stairs! Normally I would have loved so many stairs, built in exercise, but, I took a hard core fall off a round foam roller (normally used with myo-fascial release) while I was training a client-- the day before my trip. My back and neck were pretty tender. While I was climbing those stairs I could actually  feel my core muslces activating. Specifically the Transverse Abdominiswas engaging in order to protect my spine from the pain of vertical compression which was intensified from the inflammation caused by the fall on my rump. It got me thinking, if my Transverse Abdominis wasn’t functioning due to nerve damage or an injury of some sort, the pain in my back would be ten times more intense as I was climbing the stairs. Thank you Transverse Abdominis!

So, I know that was a long introduction, but it was a great example of what the Transverse Abdominis (T.V.) does and how you know if you are using it! It will involuntarily engage when needed; in fact it will reduce up to 40% of vertical pressure placed on the intervertebral discs (1).  Studies show us that when you perform a squat your transverse abdominis will engage to protect the low back and keep your organs intact. Perhaps you have heard of abdominal hernias? Tears in the muslce wall (a few muscles) allows the intestines to bulge out protruding from the abdomen. It does look like an alien is inside your belly. It is also very dangerous and should be treated immediately. But let's learn more about the actual muscle. 

WHERE IT’S AT
The T.V. is sandwiched between layers of fascia to separate and protect it from organs, other muscles and connective tissue. This keeps everything from getting wound up, caught on each other and holds it where it is supposed to be. It is extremely deep in the abdomen, you can’t touch it nor is it visible. It originates at the lumbar fascia,  the cartilages in between the ribs of of the lower six ribs, the iliac crest, and the inguinal ligament. Then the muscle (remember it’s a pair) inserts on the pubis, the linea alba (the white line of the rectus abdominis), and the abdominal aponeurosis. Technically it is not connected to your ribs, rather the tissue between the ribs.

Now, I know that is a lot of science, so I am going to roughly describe this for you. Imagine you drew a thick white line down the center of belly from the top of the arch in the center rib cage straight down to your pubic bone.  That imaginary line is actually called your Linea Alba, which means White Line, literally. Now, shade in the area from the white line you just drew at the very top in the arch of the rib cage (by your diaphragm) all the way down to the pubic bone. Make sure it sweeps along  the lower six ribs, and all the way down to the pelvis. (See Picture Below). 

WHAT IT DOES
The T.V. is responsible for forced expiration (pulling the abdominal wall in), compresses and supports abdominal viscera (holds your guts in), expulsion of organ contents (urination, defecating, vomiting, childbirth), and intra-abdominal pressure.

WHY IT’S IMPORTANT TO A DANCER
This muscle is involved with every single level change you will make, including a Turkish Drop, by keeping the organs in that are under pressure, it supports the back when you lower in that level change, reduces vertical pressure on the discs, and every time you bend in half and your body is horizontal to the floor it - keeps your organs from dropping out of your belly. It helps to draw in sections of the abdomen when performing muscular undulations/belly roll. It is also considered to play an important role in flutters by drawing in the abdomen so that the flutter is more visible.

HOW TO STRENGTHEN
There is a lot of discussion surrounding this muscle and how to train it. But, most agree that when you are in the positions that you use it works best. Such as squats, or challenging it with weight in the squat position. Also, studies show benefits to performing the “Cat” position as in the cat and cow, which is very similar to the "Vaccuum" exercise. 

To perform the Vaccum Exercise or the Cat -
Begin (prone) on all fours in a table top style position- with your neck in neutral. Actively focus on pulling in the abdominal wall as if you are trying to pull the belly button towards the spine, as if a vaccuum covering your back was sucking your abdomen towards your back. You do not need to arch your back, but you can if it helps you. Repeat several repetitions up to 15. Work up to performing 3 sets of 15 repetitions every other day. When this is easy you can do these every day!

STRETCH
This is an easy stretch. You can do this standing or lying down. I suggest lying face down (pronated). Place your arms over your head and arch your back raising your upper body and feet off the floor. Your quads (thighs) should be engaged and intact with the floor. Hold for about 10 seconds and repeat twice more. This will give you a 30 second stretch without too much pressure on your back. It will also strengthen your back! It's a two-fer!

Next time you are on the stairs and step up to the next riser - see if you can feel your abdominal wall tighten as if you had a weight lifting belt on. If not, good news, you aren’t injured and you have a strong transverse abdominis!  


Journal of Manipulative and Physiological Therapeutics
Volume 34, Issue 3 , Pages 164-172, March 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment